As you know, NYC is widely famous for its big yellow taxi cabs. In late years, however, these ridesharing services such as Uber and Lyft have taken a significant place and have slowly become a norm in the city that never sleeps. Also, in comparison to the regular yellow taxi cab, these services are more convenient and cheaper. Furthermore, these services are not only advantageous for passengers but there are also certain number of benefits of becoming a TLC driver such as you can own your own vehicle and make your own schedule, you can also receive surge/prime time bonuses and get paid weekly.
In addition to it, NYC has taken measures to ensure that there’re only qualified drivers and there’s full security of the passengers during their transport. As righteously said, all ridesharing drivers therefore, are required to obtain a Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) license in NYC.
DETERMINING IF BECOMING TLC DRIVER IS RIGHT FOR YOU
- 1 DETERMINING IF BECOMING TLC DRIVER IS RIGHT FOR YOU
- 2 SALARY EXPECTATIONS
- 3 ELIGIBILITY
- 4 VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS
- 5 GETTING THE TLC LICENSE
- 6 FILLING OUT THE APPLICATION
- 7 MAXIMIZING YOUR EARNINGS
- 8 INFORMATION DESK
There are many advantages of becoming a TLC driver. These are:
- Meeting new people everyday and getting a chance to know them.
- No paperwork or spending/wasting your time with your annoying co-workers or micro-management.
- The job doesn’t lead to any physical straining.
Benefits of becoming an Uber driver:
With a continuous battle with the other companies, Uber thrives for the attention of both the riders and drivers. Fortunately, this competition means that the rideshare service offers benefits to earn and maintain their drivers’ loyalty. Some of these Uber offers include:
- Rate transparency: Being honest about the base rates for each area. It allows drivers to see the estimated fare for each trip before accepting the ride, which in turn helps them to properly plan their time and money budget.
- Scheduling freedom: Drivers are able to set their own hours wherein they can work full-time or use the service to compliment their earnings from another job. It provides them the freedom to set and reach their financial goals without being held back.
- 24/7 support: Providing total support to the drivers through the online help center or giving ability to access a support representative directly through the app at any time, ensures security to the drivers.
- Driver rewards: It includes discounts on vehicle maintenance and cell phone service as well as financial management tools and health insurance.
With every pros, there are cons as well. Freedom of being able to do however you want, can lead to bad work routines such as:
- You may find it easier to stay in bed during surge times and skip-out on high-profit time periods despite needing the money to pay the bills.
- Another most important issue to take in view is the customer satisfaction. Being patient is the most ruling aspect of this profession therefore, if you lack patience to deal with unruly customers then, this might not be the best profession for you.
- The need to socialize and remain confident among strangers also comes in handy.
TLC driver’s restrictions:
Unlike many ridesharing companies, Uber offers the largest coverage area. It spans in more than 600 cities around the world. The company has set standards which are required by the drivers to obey. In addition to it, local municipalities can also put restrictions on the service which makes hiring process more strenuous in those areas.
TLC driver’s alternatives:
Uber and Lyft are the most common rideshare companies in the industry. Though their eligibility requirements are similar, howbeit, if you don’t qualify for one, you can still be approved by another. Nevertheless, delivery services like Uber Eats and Postmates, have fewer restrictions in place. That is, you can also become a delivery driver for Doordash/Instacart.
There are multiple factors that play into your prospective earnings as a TLC driver:
Uber determines the earnings of their drivers. The company sets base rates for every location that are based on the type of Uber product you’re offering. For every ride, you’ll earn the base fare for every booking plus a certain amount per minute and mile of the journey.
During extremely fussy periods, Uber offers you increased earning power with surge pricing. In other words, surge fares are enforced when ride requests in an area exceed that of the available drivers. In such cases, Uber temporarily increases your rates and thus, offers you the chance to multiply your earnings.
Weekly bonuses and promotions:
Uber also offers weekly bonuses and promotions. These bonuses can add several hundred dollars to a your paycheck.
Demand of riders:
Also, you’ve to consider the average demand for riders. Big and developing cities offer a near constant need for TLC driver but the demand in the smaller locations fluctuate on the basis of the time of day, the day of the week, and the local events that are happening. Therefore, it’s more like a challenge for rideshare drivers to estimate their likely earning.
Before you set your mind on the prospect of becoming a TLC driver, it’s important that you verify if you can meet the company’s minimum standards.
Uber will verify these requirements during the application process by running a complete background check. This task involves reviewing both your driving record and criminal history. To verify the safety and quality of your vehicle, they also require a full inspection before you begin working with their service. The basic Uber driver requirements comprises:
You should be at least 21 years of age or else your application will get rejected.
At least one year of driving experience is necessary for all the drivers. Howbeit, drivers under 23 need to have had their driver’s license for at least three years.
Your vehicle shouldn’t be more than 15 years old.
Availability of space:
Uber vehicles should have space for four passengers.
Your vehicle should be fully insured and also, you need to be listed as a driver on the policy.
You can’t have received more than three speeding tickets within the last year.
You must be free of violent crimes.
Uber poses restrictions and requirements on the vehicle that may be used to answer rideshare requests depending on which services you are interested in driving for. These services are divided into their own respective category, based on seating, style and age. Each and every section provides a significant difference in pay and passenger expectation too.
It’s contemplated an entry-level position and the most easiest status to qualify for. Your vehicle will be able to qualify for UberX status only if:
- it’s less than ten years old and in good condition.
- Contains the set of four wheels, four doors and four seats.
- check for cosmetic issues. Vehicles that lack blemishes and are able to meet the other qualifications may be used to answer UberX rideshare requests.
UberPOOL is a bit less restrictive in regards to how rideshare requests are handled. Passengers can choose to use UberPOOL when they don’t mind sharing their ride with additional passengers they don’t know. It’s a great way to earn more profits in a short amount time.
Vehicles such as minivans and SUVs made after 2000 and are capable of seating more than four passengers should check out UberXL. This rideshare request option is for those in need of transporting more than four people. Instinctively, with more passengers on board, drivers can earn a bit more per rideshare request.
Vehicles can only qualify for UberSUV if they have the capacity to seat more than four people. However, there’s an age restriction on vehicles driving for UberSUVs. The age restriction is cut off at 2012. A vehicle will only qualify if it’s in a good condition and could be seen as a high-end luxury vehicle.
Luxury automobiles like four-door vehicles who have either leather/vinyl seats are accepted to drive for UberSELECT. Furthermore, only 2009 or newer can be used.
This is one of the most restricted vehicle categories. Vehicles need to be black, inside and out in order to be qualified. UberBLACK vehicles are commonly reserved for black tie affairs too therefore, only luxury vehicles made after 2013 that have the right interior and exterior are allowed.
It’s Uber’s finest category. The vehicles should be full-size, luxury, and made after 2012 to be qualified. Your vehicle must be considered one of the finest set of wheels available on the market to be under the type of UberLUX. Ensure that your current vehicle is sufficient enough to drive for your desired Uber service.
GETTING THE TLC LICENSE
The process of getting into the driver’s seat can be broken into three main phases:
- Sign-up with a promo code to get a guarantee/bonus.
- Enter your information: Fill in your personal information that includes your name, email and phone number. After that, choose your account password.
- Choose your vehicle and service: You’ve select the type of Uber service you want to sign up for. You can choose from UberX, UberBlack or Uber Delivery i.e. Uber Eats.
- Consent to a background check: Verify your identity by providing your social security number. On the next page, the system will ask you to agree to a background check. They provide the agreement and disclosure for this process on the page and if you approve, click the “Agree” button.
- Provide documentation: The system will ask you to upload photos/scans of your driver’s license, vehicle registration, and insurance card. This is the final step of the Uber application process.
Waiting for your TLC driver approval:
The TLC driver application process can be completed within an hour but the approval process can take more than four weeks. The background check is the most consuming aspect and in case, if there are multiple applications at the same time, the waiting period will extend. Once the approval is set, only vehicle inspection is going to remain.
Scheduling your TLC driver vehicle inspection:
After you’re selected, you’ve to schedule an inspection for your car/SUV. Uber has been partners with auto shops in most of the areas they service. Furthermore, you can also get an inspection for free at an Uber Green-light Hub.
However, if that option is unavailable, you’ll have to pay out of pocket for an inspection which costs around $20. Once your vehicle is approved, you’re all set to drive.
FILLING OUT THE APPLICATION
In order to fill out an application, you’ll need your license, registration, and insurance documentation. Also, new drivers can maximize their signup bonus with Uber driver invite codes.
Visit Uber’s driver signup page wherein you’ll need to enter an invite code in order to receive the new driver bonus.
Ensure your car meets the minimum requirements:
After all the requirements are satisfied, you can proceed with the registration process. Howbeit, if you don’t meet them then, you’ll need to explore other options like buying or leasing another vehicle.
Enter your social security number. You don’t have to worry about anything because the number remains private. The only reason Uber needs your social security number is to verify a clean criminal and driving record which is a part of their due diligence process. This is an important step in maintaining the safety of riders.
Consent to a background check:
You’ll need to consent to a mandatory background check. We recommend you to read the fine print to fully acknowledge everything with this step. Proceed by clicking on the option – “I AGREE & ACKNOWLEDGE”.
Next, you’ve to take a picture of your license, vehicle insurance, and registration and upload each of these required documents. Also, download the Uber app and then wait. The company will reach out and let you know what you need from that point forward.
Withal, there’re a few things to keep in mind after applying. They are:
- The approval process may take some time. Therefore, be patient and if there is anything that the support representatives might need then, work efficiently to get it for them.
- In case you’re not approved, find out the cause. If the reason/cause can be changed or controlled, then fix it.
- In the waiting period, get yourself familiar with the driver app and watch the tutorial videos supplied.
MAXIMIZING YOUR EARNINGS
Maximizing your tips:
One of the possible and best way to max out your paycheck is by maximizing your tips. To enhance the plausibility of passengers giving you with extra cash, Uber partners should focus on promoting the rideshare experience.
A little creative gesture to your car can make multiple companies pay you more of what you’re already making by giving rides. This can also help you to improve your driver rating which can unlock high-end ride-share requests too.
After successfully becoming an Uber driver, it depends upon you how to earn more money by investing more time. Fortunately, we offer a list of informative guides to ensure that the Uber drivers have everything they need to achieve success. Join today to help yourself by knowing more and to need assistance in the application process and license requirement to secure guaranteed earnings during your initial period behind the wheel.